WA's New Freeway/Highway to Bunbury

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 20:18
ThreadID: 72419 Views:3928 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Took a drive down the full length of the new Kwinana Freeway extension and Forrest Highway this afternoon.

Just excellent.

The amount of traffic coming north from Bunbury was huge.

We returned to Mandurah up the Old Coast Rd, the preferred (only) route until today. It was deserted.

It will really sort out the bottlenecks at Mandurah during holidays. I hope the authorities return the Bypass Bridge to 2 lanes instead of the current 3 lanes. It was pure good luck that there hasn't been an accident.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Road Warrior - Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 20:48

Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 20:48
That's excellent. Will shave 20-30 min off your travelling time too.

I haven't been stuck in or around Mandurah during the Easter holiday shenanigans so I cant comment on how bad the traffic usually is, but if it's anything like Friday arvo peak hour it must be pretty diabolical!
AnswerID: 383986

Follow Up By: mazcan barry - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 20:00

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 20:00
hi
i came from applecross to bunghole (bunbury) on the new freeway yesterday it's a very nice rd but the southwest wind was blowing really strong and the side pressure on the vehicle was quiet notable where it was open country but maybe in time they will plant some trees down the center strip which would cure that
it took me one and half hrs for the trip which has alway been 2hrs10mins on the old dawesville rd so it makes it well worth while in the 1980's it used to take 0ne and half hrs but slowly worstened as the coastal strip became populated and all the bloody traffic lights were installed
money well spent in my opinion
mazcan barry
FollowupID: 651966

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 21:05

Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 21:05
Just got back from a week holiday over that way - Boy has Perth Grown in the last 30 years :-) - You have got some very good roads over that way I must say. My parents live in Wanneroo and there are options galore as far as roads are concerned to drive south from there.

Cant get over the amount of 1,000,000k plus houses on the coast and surrounds being built - pays must be good in WA. :-)

Good to see a state that gets roads for regos :-) Cheers TONY
AnswerID: 383988

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 21:10

Sunday, Sep 20, 2009 at 21:10
And not a TOLL BOOTH in sight Tony.

Just a minor correction: a million K house would be a Billion dollars. Not there yet... lol

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 651719

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:06

Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:06
As a local resident of the Kwinana and Pinjarra Road I have only on criticism of the project.
A truck bay has been constructed at the near by junction of Old Mandurah Road and Pinjarra Road. There are no street lights here and it is very dark and is causing some confusion at night and especially when it rains. It has also been made worse with all the lights at the fly over behind you. Old Mandurah Road is a through road and is quite heavily used. It also does not have a reflective sign.
AnswerID: 384021

Reply By: obee1212 - Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:54

Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 09:54
dont bother looking on google maps yet to see where the turnoffs are!

Owen
AnswerID: 384025

Reply By: V64Runner - Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 21:13

Monday, Sep 21, 2009 at 21:13
Ah ha ! One motorist on the new freeway to Bunbury has had his car confiscated by Mr Plod. Seems he was out to flaunt the law and Mr Plod had other ideas . Saw that on Ch7 news 40 minutes ago. I havent been on the new freway yet, but 110 KMH is enough to drive a saint to commit a crime. 130 KMH would be the ideal speed on the new freeway. Boredom sets in and one loses concentration, and next moment you are either very dead, or almost dead. Blame bloody Barbara Castle the late British transport minister, in the mid 1970s for the introduction of speed limits, and she didnt even own, let alone know how to drive a car !!
AnswerID: 384114

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 20:14

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 20:14
A former Freo Docker !!

They still can't win !!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 651973

Reply By: V64Runner - Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 21:10

Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 21:10
Why am I not surprised . The cops said they will be out in force patrolling this new freeway and I`m surprised they havent caught more. But no doubt they will. Thats why I`m happy driving a 4x4 - cant go as fast as some of these high powered cars, and mine is quite happy sitting at 105 Kmh. I still get to the next town within five minutes of the people that scream past me, hell bent on a trip to the cemetry.
AnswerID: 384260

Sponsored Links